On World No Tobacco Day (31st May 2016) Coimbatore Cancer Foundation (CCF) launched “The Coimbatore Chapter of Children Against Tobacco (CAT)” in association with Marry Anne Charitable Trust (MACT), Chennai. The CAT project is a student’s movement to work towards a “Tobacco Free Environment,” where children become the core commandos of this project. They would create awareness to their peer group and their families, on the ill effects of usage of tobacco products. The CAT commandos will enforce the law regarding advertising and sale of the same in and around 100 yards of the educational institution (COTPA ACT, 2015). This would prevent succumbing to peer-pressure and pressure from family members also to stop usage of tobacco products.
The children from classes 9th to 12th were given training and the project was implemented in the following institutions. Trained students organised awareness campaigns and competitions among their peer group.
- Venkatalakshmi Matriculation Hr. Sec. School
- PSG Sarvajana Hr. Sec. School
- Sri Gopal Naidu Hr. Sec. School
- Stanes Anglo-Indian Hr. Sec. School
- Stanes School ICSE / ISC
- Mani Hr. Sec. School
- National Model Senior Sec. School
- National Model Matriculation Hr. Sec. School
- ELGI Matriculation Hr. Sec. School